I'm receiving several emails with questions about my street photography, so I decided to create this little compendium with answers to the most common ones :) Hope you will find it useful. If you don't find your answer feel free to write me.
- How long have you been shooting street photography ? 15 years.
- What camera do you use for your Street Photography? I normally work with a Leica M10 or a Leica Q. Here you can read my Leica Q Review.
- Do you have a favourite lens ? I love to work with lenses between 21mm and 28mm. If I have to shoot a Street Photography Portrait I may switch to a 35mm or a 50mm lens.
- Which camera and lenses do you own ? Below you can find a small compendium of my photography and computer equipment:
Leica M Typ 246 Monochrom
18mm Leica Elmarit TL Asph 2.8
21mm Leica Elmarit f2.8
28mm Leica Summilux f1.7 Asph (Leica Q)
35mm Leica Summicron f2 Asph
60mm Leica Macro Elmarit Asph TL
90mm Leica Summicron f2 Asph
24–90mm Vario Elmarit f/2.8–4 Asph SL
15mm Voigtlander f4.5
21mm Voigtlander f4 color skopar
35mm Voigtlander f2.5 color skopar
50mm Voigtlander f1.5 Nokton
25mm Zeiss Biogon f2.8
90mm Minolta M-Rokkor f4
50mm Canon f0.95 with M Mount
Batteries: 5 x Q-CL / 3 x M10 / 2 x Monochrom / 3xSL
10 x 128GB Sandisk SDXC
Manfrotto Lumimuse 8 LED
Computers and Software:
MacBook Pro 15"
Surface Pro 2017
Ipad Pro 12.9
Adobe Cloud Software (Photoshop CC and Lightroom)
Wacom Intuos 5 S
Akitio Taurus Mini 2,5" Hard Disk Raid Usb 3.0
A selection of usb and hdmi cables
GoPro Hero 4 Session
Anker PowerCore 20100 with Power IQ
Samsung Note 8 and Iphone 8
Moleskine and Staedtler 308 SB6P pens
Nintendo 3DS with some good JRPGs
Pipe filled with some quality vanilla tobacco
- Do you shoot film? I've been shooting film for many years. Now I'm 100% into digital.
- Do you shoot JPG or Raw files? Tell me a reason to shoot only jpg :) My camera is set on raw + lowres jpeg. I develop the raw files and use the jpgs only for a faster preview on my computer.
- How many pictures do you shoot in a normal street photography session? It may really depend on mood and opportunities. From few to hundreds. Sometimes more.
- Do you digitally manipulate your photographs? No. I use Photoshop just as a digital dark room for operations like dodge, burn, cropping and to straighten images.
- Should street photography be only in Black and White? Absolutely not. I chose black and white because I love it. But you can find great street photographers that shoot incredible pictures in color. I'm a commercial and advertising photographer and I normally shoot my ads in color. So Street Photography gives me the opportunity to enjoy taking monochrome pictures. If you want more detailed information about this topic there is a post blog about my Black and White Street Photography.
- How do you convert your raw files into black and white? I use Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 and some personal developed tricks to convert them to BW and to make some basic dodge and burn.
- Do you stage your photographs? Most of the times no. But if needed when I'm shooting a street portrait I may ask to my subject to make some adjustments in orientation or pose to get a better light and composition.
- Who are your photographic influences? Joel Meyerowitz, Lee Friedlander, Robert Frank, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Vivian Maier and Fan Ho.
- Did you learn photography at college or at a private school? No, I'm a Self-taught learner.
- Did you ever assist a professional photographer? I assisted Steve McCurry on the field for many years. I also assisted Elliott Erwitt, James Nachtwey and Eugene Richards.
- Do you sell fine art prints? Yes I do, Custom Limited Editions printed on exhibition grade fiber paper, numbered and signed. Email me for costs and availability.
- Do you run workshops? Yes I do. I give Street Photography Workshops with the Leica Akademie. Click on the Workshops page to have more information about my Street Photography Courses.
- Do you give private lessons? Yes I do, please email me for costs and availability. I run Street Photography city walks in Rome and Online one on one Workshops.
- In which cities did you shoot? Mostly Rome but also Milan, Turin, Florence, Tokyo, Mumbai, Beijing, Berlin, Paris, San Francisco and Las Vegas.
- Where would you like to shoot next? Seoul, London, New York, Lisbon, Hong Kong, Shangai... the list is very long :)
- Is Photography your job? Yes I'm an advertising and portrait photographer. This is my commercial photography website: www.eoloperfido.com
- What camera do you use in your studio commercial assignments? Leica SL is my studio photography camera.
- Did you ever shot Street Photography with the Leica SL camera ? Yes, several times. Using M lenses with the M lenses adaptor. Its a real pleasure to view the world through a 4.4 milion pixel viewfinder and an M lens. After all the SL camera in this particular configuration is not that heavier than a M camera.